Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dan Eldon





I am so excited that the Dan Eldon exhibit has finally made it's way to Los Angeles. Dan's life was cut tragically short at 22, however that is not the point of his story. Dan's story was one of life and adventure. Fitting as much into life as possible. His journals reflect that, and his photos range from beautiful to haunting. A British/American national raised in Kenya, Eldon's point of view was a worldly one and his work reflected that. I first discovered Dan's work my senior year of high school. I checked the book of his journals out and could never find it in my heart to return it. It meant that much to me. Once when it was raining, I protected the book with my jacket instead of myself. As a result, I've always wished that I would have the opportunity to see the journals and Dan's photos in person. Naturally excited doesn't quite describe it. So for that, I suggest it to you. If you are in the area, go see this exhibit. If you aren't-please do yourself a favor and get the book. There are two: "The Journey is the Destination," and "Dan Eldon:The Art of Life." The first is his journals, the second a type of biography. And before I go on forever, here's the info:
Dan Eldon: Traveling ExhibitTues, February 17 – Sat, March 21Join us for an exhibit of remarkable travel journals and images of war and peace photographed by journalist Dan Eldon, who celebrated his life and death at 22 as a creative activist and whose art became a means of positive social change. Opening reception on Friday, February 27, from 6 pm to 9 pm. A film festival and panel discussion with producers, directors, actors, and journalists on creative activism will also be held.
SMC’s Pete and Susan Barrett Art Gallery is located at the SMC Performing Arts Center (Santa Monica Blvd. & 11th St., Santa Monica). For information and gallery hours, please call (310) 434-3434 or (310) 434-8204, or visit our gallery website (www.smcbarrettgallery.com). Exhibits and opening receptions are free.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails